US President Joe Biden on Thursday let the ban on foreign workers visa, in particular H-1B, lapse as the notification issued by his predecessor Donald Trump expired, a move which is likely to benefit thousands of Indian IT professionals.
Amidst a national lockdown and the COVID-19 crisis, Trump in June last year issued a proclamation that suspended entry to the US of applicants for several temporary or “non-immigrant” visa categories, including H-1B, arguing that these visas presented a risk to the US labour market during the economic recovery.
On December 31, Trump extended the order to March 31, 2021, noting that an extension was warranted as the pandemic continued to disrupt American’s lives, and high levels of unemployment and job loss were still presenting serious economic challenges to workers across the United States.
Biden did not issue a fresh proclamation for the ban on H-1B visas to continue after March 31.
He had promised to lift the suspension on H-1B visas, saying Trump’s immigration policies were cruel.
What is H-1B visa:
The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise. Technology companies depend on it to hire tens of thousands of employees each year from countries like India and China.
The expiry of the Trump’s proclamation would now result in the issuing of H-1B visas by American diplomatic missions overseas that would result in US companies bringing in talented technology professionals inside the country.
No new proclamation was issued by Biden till Wednesday mid-night, resulting in the automatic end to the ban on issuing of fresh H-1B visas.
H-1B visa ban lifted:
Global IT companies, industry bodies, and other global tech captains such as Alphabet and Google Inc’s Sundar Pichai, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, had then condemned the June 2020 move and said that the H-1B visa regimes had a net positive impact on the US economy.
US President Joe Biden on Thursday let a June 2020 executive order banning the issuance of new non-immigrant worker visas expire.
The executive order, signed by his predecessor Donald Trump, had barred the entry of eligible work visa holders, first for 60 days till August, which was extended till December and then March 31.
What was the proclamation issued by former US President Donald Trump?
In June last year, Trump had signed an executive order barring the entry of H-1B and other foreign work visa holders citing it as an essential step to save the jobs of Americans who had lost their work due to the Covid-19 crisis.
In his proclamation, Trump had said that these US workers had been “hurt through no fault of their own due to coronavirus and they should not remain on the sidelines while being replaced by new foreign labour”.
“With some exceptions, we should not permit large numbers of foreign workers to enter the United States at a time when so many Americans are out of work,” an official statement by the White House had then said.So,this is what he had said with issues.